Children and Divorce

Published on April 9, 2018

Couple discussing divorce with lawyerDivorce can be difficult for children. Many parents want to minimise disruption to their lives and create a new and different family structure that still supports their children.

Some couples might find that they have so much difficulty in their relationship that they cannot do this alone. This is when a divorce solicitor in London, like Saracens Solicitors, can really help. They can see past emotional considerations and use their expertise to secure a practical long-term future for the family.


Making arrangements for where children will live is often one of the first issues that needs to be addressed after a separation. It is better for them if there is a regular pattern that they can understand.

Helping children through a divorce process often means supporting them with the upheaval that comes from moving back and forth between two parents. Even if they only spend a portion of their time at one residence and most of it at another, it is still great for them to have their own space and feel at home with both parents.


During some difficult divorces, there may be a question over whether one parent is allowed access to the children at all. This may also be an issue for grandparents who are no longer allowed to see their grandchildren. A divorce solicitor in London can help in both of these cases. It may be a step-by-step process where calls and supervised visits are allowed at first with a view to progressing towards more access in the future.


Even when parents split, both parties are still responsible for the financial upkeep of any children. Money is often the subject of fraught negotiation, which a divorce solicitor in London can assist with. Even where an informal arrangement is possible, it may be advisable for both parties to have a legal agreement in place for ongoing security.

Recommended Article:  Top Organic SEO Techniques for High-Ranking Websites

Maintenance for children is usually an arrangement that lasts until children reach a certain age, finish education or move out of the house. It is normally paid to the other party by the parent who does not have residency of the children. If they do not pay consistently, legal action might be possible.