Almost 80 million baby boomers appreciate the value of a properly manicured lawn or attractive landscaping on their property. They may no longer have the time, the inclination, or the strength to do the work themselves, so they are likely set on hiring lawn maintenance or landscaping professionals.
Over $60 billion in annual revenues are generated by such professionals, which only means there is indeed money in the business. If you are thinking of starting your landscaping and lawn maintenance business, here are some points to ponder on.
It offers plenty of benefits
Here are some of the benefits of having your own landscaping business:
- You can do this full-time or part-time, or start part-time until you’re ready to keep it as your day job.
- You don’t have to worry about a long commute or too much traffic if you service your own or a nearby community.
- Clients hardly meddle with your work, which means you can work at your pace.
- It’s a relatively steady source of income.
- You work close to nature, which is good for your cardiovascular health.
- It’s great for building your body and keeping you active.
There are challenges too
It’s not a walk in the park. You have to be ready for the challenges:
- It takes more than just average skill in pruning, mowing, and watering plants. You have to learn the art and science of the craft.
- You need to be dedicated. Take advantage of great weather.
- Only a physically fit person can stay in this business for long. You’ll be spending hours under the sun (or light rain) and probably lifting equipment.
- Equipment and chemicals may come with risks.
- You need marketing, just like any other business. You need to be present at a California home and garden show, probably knock on doors and leave your card and services/price list, and at least a website or a social media presence.
A landscaping and lawn maintenance business does not require a large capital. You can use your basement or an extra room at home as your office, and your old (but reliable) truck or van. It’s a good business, as there are many clients always looking for a reputable lawn care and landscaping professional.